14 May Common Back and Neck Pain Causes
The human spine is an extremely complex structure, an engineering miracle! But its complexity makes it susceptible injury during daily activities, in sports and due to the body’s natural aging process.
Many people suffer from back and neck pain and want to know why they suffer from it. There is no common answer because a large number of conditions can affect the spine, depending on the patient’s age, activity level and overall health.
Common Back Pain Causes
Back pain is one of the most common medical complaints. The back is a complex structure composed of a number of bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs and nerves. A problem with any one or more of these structures can cause back pain.
The most common causes of back pain are –
• Strained muscles and ligaments due to incorrect bending or lifting of heavy weights
• Muscle spasms due to an abrupt movement
• Overuse injuries due to repetitive motions and poor posture
• Conditions such as osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis
Common Neck Pain Causes
Neck pain is not as common as back pain yet millions of Americans struggle with neck pain. The most common neck pain causes are –
• An injury to the soft tissues in the neck or upper back. This can be caused by sleeping in the wrong position, whiplash injury or straining while lifting a heavy object
• Daily activities, such as working on a computer in a hunched posture
• Conditions, such as cervical osteoarthritis, facet joint damage and herniated discs